HEADLINES
  • Buhari jets out to Sochi for Russia-Africa Summit
  • |
  • Senate rejects Akpabio's Budget, says abandoned projects everywhere in Niger Delta
  • |
  • There is no shut out of journalists from what we do, says Senate President
  • |
  • FG using recovered Abacha loot to uplift poor and vulnerable Nigerians, says Presidency
  • |
  • Border closure: No pain, no gain, you'll need to suffer more, Minister tells Nigerians
  • |
2019:10:23

Buhari sends Special Envoy to South Africa over xenophobic attacks

Sep 03, 2019 | The Newsroom
Buhari sends Special Envoy to South Africa over xenophobic attacks

President Muhammadu Buhari has dispatched a Special Envoy to convey to President Cyril Ramaphosa of South Africa his deep concerns over reported attacks on Nigoerian citizens and property in South Africa since August 29.

Femi Adesina, the President’s Spokesman, who confirmed this development in a statement in Abuja on Tuesday, said the Envoy would also interact with his South African cunterpart on the situation.

Adesina revealed that the President had already instructed the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, to summon the South African High Commissioner to Nigeria and get a brief on the situation.

He said Onyeama was also to express Nigeria’s displeasure over the treatment of her citizens; and assurance of the safety of their lives and property.

“The Special Envoy is expected to arrive in Pretoria latest Thursday, September 5, 2019,’’ he added. and other nationals and in the process killed three people.

South Africans commenced fresh attacks, looting and burning of businesses and properties belonging to Nigerians.

The President of the Nigeria Union South Africa, Adetola Olubajo, said on Monday that the attacks began on Sunday morning in Jeppestown area of Johannesburg when a building was set ablaze by an angry mob.

“The mob also looted several shops that were around the vicinity suspected to be owned by foreign nationals.

 Nigerians being the most victims.

According to witnesses living on Jules Street, the Zulu hostel dwellers were very organised and well-coordinated in looting and burning of any shops/businesses suspected to be owned by foreign

“But the Police later dispersed the mob and made some arrest.

“Late in the evening of Sunday, September 1, a group of violent locals suspected to be Zulu hostel dwellers besieged Jules Street in Malvern, Johannesburg looted and burned shops and businesses with nationals.

Over 50 shops/businesses were destroyed, looted and burnt over the night in Malvern area of Johanesburg.



2019 Design By onecenturydesign@yahoo.com