Clinton Umeh, the Media Aide to Ayogu Eze, the APC Governorship Candidate in Enugu, said that no Election Observer was killed in his Principal’s compound.
The Aide, who made the clarification in a statement, issued in Enugu on Sunday, said that the rumor had drawn the attention of Ayogu Eze Governorship Campaign Organisation to Social Media reports on the incident.
Umeh, described as `false’, stories making the round that an Observer was shot in the Candidate’s home in Umuozzi, Enugu Ezike in Igboeze North Local Government during the Governorship and State Assembly elections.
According to him, the true story is that Eze’s residence was stormed by two vehicles with Enugu State Government registration numbers, claiming to be carrying Election Observers.
The Media Aide explained that one of the vehicles drove inside Eze’s compound while the other stayed outside the gate.
He said that the vehicles had their numbers masked, rousing the curiosity of their supporters who unmasked them only to reveal the Enugu state number plates.
Umeh said the supporters saw this as unwarranted intrusion, especially as they saw the face cap of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP Governorship Candidate for the election in one of the vehicles and sought to quiz the occupants of the vehicles on their mission.
Umeh said that the atmosphere turned rowdy suddenly, forcing one of the Police Officers in the premises to shoot into the air to disperse the crowd.
He added that the Policeman’s hand obviously slipped, according to eyewitnesses, and he shot one of the APC supporters who passed on while being conveyed to the hospital.
The Media Aide said the Police Officer had been handed over to law enforcement Agents who were currently handling the matter in accordance with their Service Rules.
He said that the so called Observers whose identities were questionable were released to the Igbo Eze North Divisional Police Officer, Samuel Ngwu following the intervention of Eze immediately his attention was drawn to the incident.
“No observer was killed in our Principal’s house or anywhere near it. What is circulating in the social media is pure fake news, obviously fabricated by those who sent the team to the house of the APC Governorship Candidate.
“We see this fake story as part of the coordinated assault on the democratic rights of our principal, who has remained calm in the face of severe provocation.
“We hope that with this clarification the authors of this willfully spurn tale by the moonlight will see the need to leave Eze alone” he said.
The Police Public relations Officer, Ebere Amaraizu confirmed the incident adding that the Command had commenced full scale investigation into the matter.
|Umahi's claim against me frivolous, i have no skeleton in my cupboard - Elechi|
|You've to be on your toes to govern Lagos, Ambode tells visiting students|
|Speak now on your indictment by Tinubu over Lagos debt burden, PDP tells Fashola|
|Giwa defects to PDP, says 'i have opted to go with the majority'|
|Should there be a sign of coup, there are guiding rules we follow, says DHQ|