Despite strong opposition from the federal government, Nigerian singer, Innocent Idibia, has vowed to proceed with his planned nationwide protest against the Muhammadu Buhari administration.
He insisted on his position in his Facebook page on Wednesday. According to him, the protest will go on as planned since it is meant to tell Nigerian leaders the need to ‘connect with the people’.
“I will not keep quiet. I’m just a musician with a point of view and the ear of my fans.
“I have dedicated my time and resources to peace building, voter’s education towards peaceful elections and youth engagement in governance in Nigeria.
“This match is about demanding that our leaders connect with all the people of Nigeria.”
Idibia had last month announced his intention to lead a nationwide protest against the Buhari administration. He noted that many “Nigerians, especially the youths, were languishing in poverty with little to be hopeful for about the future.”
However, his call to protest against the government was welcomed with mixed reactions.
While many of his fans, politicians and artistes alike, said the protest was timely and necessary, others said it was ill-conceived and politically motivated.
He has however remained undeterred saying “it is just a peaceful protest aimed at demanding answers from the government over different issues in the country.”